2/5/08

Super (Duper) Tuesday

Today I'm voting for Obama, with reservations. Hillary might have the better qualifications (and toughness), but I think Obama at the top of the ticket would have longer coattails. What this country needs are more and better Democrats. I think Obama has the better chance of making that happen.

But it's still a vote with reservations. Obama's vague "unity" rhetoric leaves me a little cold, instead of inspired. I wonder sometimes whether the rhetoric coming out of the Obama camp is nothing more than an updated 21st Century version of 90's-style DLC triangulation. Still, the possibility of a solidly Democratic House and Senate along with a Democratic president seems to me more likely with an Obama nomination.

So, go Obama! Or whatever.

Don't forget to vote.

2 comments:

Tory said...

Matthew- Sorry to have missed the Super Tuesday post. The coin-flip photo was great.

With Edwards out, did it come down to an anti-establishment vote?

One could argue given the Kennedys' partial endorsement (the RFK wing of the clan apparently didn't get the memo and voted HRC) that the Dems have two establishment candidates running.

In fact, talk abounds of brokered conventions and the like out in pundit-land.

As a dispassionate observer it's fascinating to watch. I'm curious to see when/if the party will rally behind one of the two.

Matthew Frederick said...

One of them will get it well before the convention. As much as political junkies would love a brokered convention, I think there's no way the powers-that-be would allow it to get that far.